Friday, April 27, 2012

While I was on a business trip in Ogden, Utah recently, I had the chance to visit a ski resort formerly used in the 2002 winter Olympics.  The lodge was beautiful and extravagant with antiques and intricate furnishings everywhere.
One thing I noticed was there was very little signage in the lodge itself. The circular design of the building allowed for less arrows and signs so this wasn't a big deal. On the slopes, however, I feel there could be some better information design solutions.
Anyone familiar with ski resorts knows the basic green circle, blue square, black diamond trail signs. These were present along with ski lift signs and the like.
I guess I would like to see some more interaction between the wayfinding systems at ski resorts and the skiers. One thing I think would be great for newbies on the mountain, would be a simple flowchart on the slopes mapping the trails so a novice wouldn't find themselves down the path where they have to choose between an intermediate or expert trail. I realize there are detailed maps, but a simple color coded line chart showing what difficulty lies ahead would enable skiers to decide while on the move rather than stopping to check a pocket map.
While in the lodge, I also think it would be informative to have first person videos of the trails with the name and difficulty for each in bold. Maybe kiosks near the ski rentals where people could go preview the trails and locate them on the map. This type of human centered approach would add value to the experience of ski rental and sizing ("while your waiting, check out our slopes and plan your day on the mountain"). 


These ideas would be simple to deploy and would be very welcome to the skiers visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment